Saturday, March 29, 2008

something beautiful

about two years ago I started the eval process for a child. He, in the year prior to the eval, had developed serious kidney problems. By the time he was evaled he had a feeding tube and was on a host of medications. we finished the eval process and ultimately did not accept him. Mom lived in the building upstairs from the job so I would run into her periodically. I saw her once and she told me that the little guy wasn't doing so well and was going to need a kidney transplant. She came into the center to tell us that he was accepted to the donor list. we all celebrated. I didn't see or hear from her for this school year, and she slipped to the back of my mind...but let me add that this women is one of the sweetest folk I ever met...when you meet her you are just filled with peace...
I was laying in bed night before last, I managed to get in bed at nine, so I was dozing and watching TV...the news was on and I was half watching...a health report came on and they were talking about altruistic kidney donations...its a program where if one family receives a kidney, that another family member must donate a kidney (as a side, Im the only family member who would ever donate a kidney)...so they were talking about an East Indian lady who received a kidney, and her husband donated a kidney...when they showed the kidney recipient, I sat straight up...it was the little guy!!!!! I cried...I bawled like somebody died...if anyone deserved that it was this family...now little guy can lead a normal life...he just needs to take anti-rejection medication...I didn't get a chance to call her yesterday, but first thing monday morning I will be calling her...I want to do something nice for little guy too...

No comments: