Thursday, September 18, 2008

health update

I've not given up...every time I go to the dr, no matter if its the primary dr or my GYN I tell them I have an issue, I gain weight for no reason even though I eat well, I exercise if all I do is walk, usually they tell me just eat well, walk more, it's nothing wrong...the attitude has been you're just obese, get over it...

trust your body...if you feel something is off don't take the dr's word when they say it's in your head...

so finally I got paid attention...I started having irregular periods...the answer was either I was in premenopause (I'm not), its your thyroid (it's not) or it's ok, it happens, it will even out...

well after having only two periods this year my GYN paid attention...I emailed a lot her documenting my issues...
I'm getting a blood test in the morning to confirm a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome...look it up, but long story short I have cysts in my ovaries that stop ovulation which somehow ends up producing too much insulin in my body...I'm also being tested for diabetes...
it's a vicious cycle, I gain weight which exacerbates the condition which causes me to gain more weight...so I'm up to 196...but the GYN said that in addition to taking estrogen I will be on diabetes medication which will help me lose weight...I'm assuming that once I get to a healthy weight I can discontinue the medication...
I'm continuing with yoga, which I love and I'm joining weight watchers tomorrow...I went to a meeting last week and I liked it...

I'm really happy...everyone has something, but it's good to know what that something is...my greatest fear is cancer so anything else I can easily deal with (I could deal with cancer if I was faced with it...poppy survived so I know I would)...if this diagnosis is correct then I can do what I need to do to stay healthy...

PCOS and even type 2 diabetes are controllable with diet, weight and exercise...I'm already on the right track so I'm not worried about that...

but I can't express how I feel...I feel like a two ton weight has been lifted from my shoulders...I can't wait to feel "normal" again...to not get on the scale and see I've gained ten pounds in two weeks that I can't attribute to eating a whole cake or a pint of ice cream (I don't eat either items)...

so pray for me...pray that this is the issue so I can start the process of healing...

4 comments:

Sista GP said...

Hey girl, hang in there. Glad you found out the cause of your problems. I have to deal with fibroids. I'm considering UFE, but having difficulty coordinating an Interventional Radiologist in my area that specializes with this procedure that is also on my insurance network. Want to get procedure done my the end of the year, since my deductible seems to be met already.
I believe that my fibroids pushed out my IUD and I did not know it because my cycles had been bad for the entire 5 years I thought I had it. It came out sometime within the last year.
I go back to my OB/GYN in a few weeks, hopefully we can get the process done soon.

professor said...

sista gp we have to take care of ourselves...I left a comment on lovebabz's page yesterday saying the same thing...I find that women in general take care of the world and push our issues to the side...we know when something is not right...

Julie said...

I'm keeping you in my thoughts that you've finally identified the problem and can now begin to tackle it. I know you have been struggling with this for too long - and there is SUCH a relief in just knowing what the problem is.

Years ago I had problems with sudden and severe back pains. Every doctor I went to told me it was muscular in nature. Told me I had thrown my back out through exercise or something. But I kept insisting that is was something else - something internal. I kept going back to doctor after doctor and would ask about it again and again.

Finally I had a good OB/GYN who sent me to get an ultrasound. I waited until I had the pain in my back - and sure enough - I was right! Turned out that when I ovulated it left a cyst on my ovary that would then burst - and that was causing the pain.

There wasn't much to be done about it. But just knowing the source - and knowing I wasn't crazy helped immensely. And, thank goodness, after I had kids it stopped happening.

The point of my story is - sometimes it's just nice to know.

I hope you know for certain soon and that, unlike me, there are things you can do to make it better.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i dont know what to say, yea ill keep you in your prayers but a doctor that dont listen to their paients is foul, she needs to be prayed for too